Sunday, February 27, 2011

Saturday

Saturday, February 26, 2011
“Hodi” was the quiet call at the door at 5:30 am. The porter had come with our hot chocolate and tea as our wakeup call for the 6:30 game drive. We got ready and were at the reception at 6:25, ready to go. For some reason, I did not bring a sweater or jacket from Nairobi. All I have here is short sleeves and I knew it would be cool on the savannah. I apologized and wore my fleece pajama top over my shirt. We were riding with the same family from yesterday. Jimmy with Aaron, Hunter and Isaiah. Hunter is a high school senior and she plans to go to Asbury next year. The boys are maybe 15 and 12. (Oops…later  discovered they are 14 and 9).
We saw most of the animals from yesterday. We did see jackals yesterday that I didn’t mention. Today we added male waterbuck, lioness with cubs, ground horned bill (bird) and elephants!! The herd of elephants was magnificent. There were several babies with them. We watched and watched and some went into the bush. The bush is so thick that once an animal is in a few feet, you cannot locate them unless you have seen them go in. It is difficult to imagine just how many animals might be in that bush.
Wilson heard on the walkie-talkie radio that there was a lioness who had made a kill and taken it to her cubs. We went to the location and waited while another jeep backed out. Then we drove in. The lioness was several metres ahead of us. The cubs were romping and playing but it was difficult to see them. The photos taken by my average camera may not show them.  The lioness got up and moved but did not come close enough.
Wilson took us to a curio shop out in the Mara….far from everything! I didn’t buy but did look. Hunter was looking and Isaiah, the 9 year old, was saying she should hurry. She looks at everything and doesn’t buy. I told him that is why they call it “shopping”. She said ‘thanks’. I imagine she gets it from those boys like Darian did from Dylan and Dalton (my grandkids). Amber bought a unique piece and bar-gained quite well.
On the way back to the lodge we saw a strange large bird, maybe the size of a pelican. It is black with a red head and a big bill….a ground hornbill. There was a pair of them. We also saw a tawny eagle perched in a tree.  Still no rhinos…maybe this afternoon.
We stopped in the Fairmont gift shop when we returned. There is a beautiful amethyst necklace with silver that I’m eyeing; however, I did stop at reception to ask about the hot air balloon ride.  A balloon ride over the Mara has been on my “bucket list” for about five years. It makes sense to try to do it while I’m here this time as it is long to the Mara and expensive. This may be my last big safari.  Leah, the clerk, told me she would check. Amber signed up for a full body massage. She brought her swimsuit so will be in the pool after the massage. I didn’t bring a suit so I don’t know what I’ll be doing. My camera needs to be charged and so does the laptop so I’ll be doing that kind of stuff too.
Leah came to our table during breakfast to tell me that I am the only one signed up for the balloon. They need three more…the minimum is 4. If she can find others, I’ll be going up on Sunday morning. If she cannot….maybe I’ll get the necklace! If she cannot find others, then I will know that God has taken the balloon ride off the bucket list! Leah also told us that the lodge changed internet carriers and that even though we joined the president’s club, our free internet will come with our next visit but the rate for internet changed. So we will pay 1000/- per laptop for our entire stay instead of per day. It’s a good deal…better than the Hilton! Yesterday it was an excellent connection which is difficult to understand. We are very remote out in the middle of the savannah. The connection at Sosa was so slow and it is in a populated area. But This is Kenya!
Breakfast was a large buffet with eggs, ham, baked beans, sweet potato hashbrowns, breads, fruit, juice, and eggs with kuchambari. It was like deviled eggs except the filling was kuchumbari. That’s a clever idea but the kuchambari was too hot for me! (Finely chopped tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, cilantro and hot sauce).
After breakfast we went to Hippo Lookout. Jimmy and Isaiah were there and Isaiah had counted ….are you ready?.......65 hippos basking in the river. Oh MY! You cannot imagine! I didn’t count but there were many out of the water and others kept coming up and going back down. We watched them sleep for twenty minutes or more. Impossible to catch a snap (photo) of one with his mouth opened…they are just too quick.

My next task was the blog and Amber went for her massage. She came into the lodge area (no internet in the tents) and said it was the most wonderful massage she has ever had. She looked relaxed! The pool was not heated so in comparison to the hot sun, it was cold. I didn’t miss anything by not getting in the pool.  Maybe I can do a massage tomorrow? But we check out tomorrow….
This safari life is a life of luxury. Great service, wonderful amenities….not your every day stuff.  
After a leisurely morning and a big breakfast, Amber opted to skip lunch. I had a small piece of cake and some minted cucumbers. It was soon time to go for the afternoon drive. We stopped to see Leah and the balloon party is a maybe…if Amber goes and if they find one more person.
The goal for this drive was to find a male lion and to find rhinos. We followed the narrow paths and went up and down searching. Then we went up a hill and Wilson told us to get out of the rover. We were at a curio shop so I thought it was another friend. No…a conservancy officer joined us and then we were to climb the hill. Wilson stayed with the Rover and another officer came along. In the distance we saw a rhino, we continued to climb, another! And another!! I was huffin’ and puffin’. We were on a hillside overlooking an open area with four rhinos…big ones! The guide said, “danger, hide!” So here we are out in the open with two guides who only have a stick. We are watching these rhinos eat grass, as we snap pictures and wonder about these big boys!! They are massive!! It starts to rain. We keep taking pictures. Finally, we began going down the hill. The guides’ job is to keep track of these rhinos to keep poachers away. I’m not sure they are equipped to protect the tourists.

Getting back in the rover, I asked about snakes in the Mara. Wilson said only cobras, puff adders and the green mamba were here. That was a bit jarring. Amber had been in flipflops and I had Crocs on as we were out meandering the hillside.
Next big find….two male lions asleep in the bush. They were sprawled out. Vehicles came and went as we got in close to get more photos. We watched them sleep for half an hour, then one awoke and sat up. Wilson jockeyed us around to the front side and this lion was ten feet from me…looking me directly in the eye. You’ll love the photos!!

On to find the hyenas. There was a pack with several babies. The mother had brought back some scavenged food and the babies were chewing on the bones. We did hear the hysterical laugh. They romped and played. They have a strange posture with their shoulders higher than haunch. They have round ears. The kids thought they looked like bears.
Heading home, we saw a pack of mongoose. We stopped three times to take pictures of the setting sun. It was a glorious sight. Wilson stopped so that we could get an acacia tree in the foreground. There was a stork in the tree and a zebra beside it and the mountain on the horizon. The pinks and purples of the sunset were beautiful.

I had booked a massage for myself at 7pm.  I just got out of the rover and went directly to the massage table. Leah at reception had said I would get an African massage (the game drive) and then a Swedish Massage. It was wonderful. I lay on the table while Maggie worked on my body. The birds were singing and every so often I heard the hippos’ grunts and the water splashing when they turned over. At one point I realized she didn’t have music playing which is typical when you get a massage. Nature sounds were the music.
Supper at 8 and both Amber and I got tickled about one thing after another. We laughed til we cried. We are tired but relaxed. It has been a good day. But I did find that no one was found to be the 4th person on the balloon ride and the 3rd person canceled. I guess I’m not supposed to take it this time either!
As I type, I can hear the music from the special event. The drums are loud and it sounds like tribal dancing. It doesn’t really sound Masai but not sure what it is.
We have a wakeup for 5:45 for our last game drive.
Sunday drive is finished. We are checking out and posting this today. Will download photos and hopefully post tomorrow but if we go the the cybercafe, photos will not come. Hopefully, wi-fi will be free in Amsterdam. I don't mind paying a reasonable price but $11/hr is much!!
Blessings on you today as you worship. Hasn't God created an incredible amazing world and we are privileged to be a part of it. Just as there is beauty in Africa, so is there beauty all round each of us. Take a look today and praise Him for all that you see and all that you have. This has been a grand safari! If you have come this far in reading, I think you will agree. Thanks for coming along and there is more to come!!

1 comment:

  1. All of the hippos could not be captured in one photo so don't try counting them!

    ReplyDelete