Sunday, February 13, 2011

Packing is never easy

I tried to pack today. I did get most everything gathered. And I've said yes to a few people...yes, I have room to take a baby gift...yes, I'll drop off pill bottles at Kaimosi Hospital....yes, I can meet your friend in Nairobi with books. I do try to be a people pleaser. However, it has led to a bit of a dilemma in the packing. At this point, the suitcases will not close. A bit of intense rearranging will get two of them ready for Homeland Security...but the third....

well, after I add these medicine bottles (imagine getting your prescription in a used medicine bottle! That used bottle is a luxury in Kenya, otherwise the meds are distributed in a tiny brown envelope) and the books that are coming tomorrow, the third will have to become a big duffel bag, not the small suitcase I have laid out. Fortunately, flights to Africa allow two FREE checked bags at 50 # each so the weight won't be a problem. A carry-on and a backpack will be my "personal items"--yep, a total of 4 bags to deal with.  


A bag from Belize to use as a purse once I get there!
 This little pile of stuff goes into the backpack with the laptop, the iPod, the DS, the iBible (a dedicated MP3), the Kindle, the camera, the journal, the snacks, the 1 quart ziplock with liquids, and many other necessary items!

It will all come together tomorrow! I hope.

1 comment:

  1. While I don't think I want to contend with four bags alone, I was thinking that your packing list for Kenya looks a lot like my packing list for church! I can't go anywhere without tons of stuff! :( Looking forward to reading your adventures!

    ReplyDelete