Friday, November 11, 2011

The Pit of Despair.....

The salaried staff had a long meeting on Wednesday, not finishing until nearly lunch time. Bebe and I busied ourselves with personal things. After lunch the Bible study group came. Bebe had asked me to lead this week. It’s always a bit slow the first time you lead a group and I hadn’t been able to join them last week. I think it went well. There was a lot of participation. I shared about my experience at the Belfast Street Ministry and my concern for a day laborer here at MH. When we came to the passage “to live is Christ, to die is gain”, I shared about the death of my friend Mary Zechman this week. She has been a wonderful example of faith through suffering to many of us.  Following the Bible study, Bebe led the book discussion. No one had read it so she gave an overview and encouraged them to get a copy. They recommended another one for the next book discussion. However, out of that discussion we learned a bit about our little group. One of the women “winters” in Malta and has for 25 years. She had much insight on the situation of Malta during WWII. Another of the women served as a nurse in what is now Zambia (then N. Rhodesia).

There was a flurry of urgency in getting out the November Prayer Calendar today….although I have been ready with the format for several days. But I worked until 8:30 pm getting it printed, folded and stuffed. The envelopes had to be stamped with the return address, labeled and stamps affixed. Deirdre and Bebe helped a lot with the stuffing process and we got them finished!!  In the midst of all this, supper was mentioned. I suggested that I continue working and Bebe and Deirdre go to Dundrum for either Chinese or pizza. They were up for that! So it was Chinese food for American and Irish women in Ireland!!

After the work was done, we sat and chatted and chatted and then a bit more! Richard was making a cake for Cynthia’s birthday and covered it with marzipan. I had never tasted marzipan so I snitched a bit…oh my….my new love! Yummy!! Michelle skyped from Florida to ask about her knitting project. I could see and hear her but she could only see me. Her daughter (about 12) tried to troubleshoot but no solution. Afterwards I messaged the IT guy, David. He walked me through some troubleshooting but again no solution. It has to do with my microphone but I can’t figure out how to check it…keep getting in a loop of questions with the result being…microphone needs to be checked. Ah, the joys of computing!

Thursday morning was for errands! Dropped the prayer calendars at the post office, went to the Oasis and stripped more beds, washed dishes that were in the warmer, Hoovered (that is vacuumed to my American friends) and returned the larger dinner plates to Murlough House. So many details involved in having three properties with this ministry! 

Deirdre made a great lunch….chicken, mashed potatoes, peas, cabbage and cake! When there are no teams we don’t always have grand meals but today it was!!

Deirdre, Bebe and I went to Newcastle to Lydl’s (grocery). We returned, renewed and checked out more books at the library. I had noticed that the stamp pad in the office needed ink so I set out to buy a bottle of ink or a new stamp pad. I went to four shops and nothing was available. One kind chap offered to order one for me. I told him I would see if we could get one on our stationery order. He said if I ‘still struggled’, I could let him know and he would order it. Interestingly, there are many shops but it’s hard to find a lot of things.

Earlier I had tried to print the Christmas fliers for distribution. The colour on Joan’s printer is not right and they decided they needed glossy paper. I just did the envelopes and will wait for those issues to be resolved.

We had toast and tea for supper with Black Currant jam…my favorite here!! We also had to put away the Tesco order…groceries that are delivered. While I was in the larder I saw a jar of Banoffee!! I didn’t know it was a common thing when I had the Banoffee Pie last weekend. Oh…I must get some of that! The larder has two ways to enter…one is called the Pit of Despair….very steep stairs.

There is a self-catered group coming in on Friday evening so Deirdre, Bebe and I spent the morning getting the kitchen ready. That includes removing foodstuffs from two refrigerators, removing lots of other items, thoroughly cleaning both the kitchen and the washup/prep room and then mopping the floors. Bebe and I also had to carry things upstairs to the apt. kitchen. We are not to use the big kitchen while the group is here. That was a big job!! I had done my ten flights of stairs before noon today!

We stopped at 11 for a time of prayer with Alan and Sarah. It was a sweet half hour. Remember us in your  prayers too!

Deirdre doesn’t drive. She lives near Banbridge and MH provides her transport to and from work so Bebe and I took her home today. She comes for 3-5 days at a time and stays in the apt. It was raining when we took off. The road that doesn’t flood is closed for resurfacing so we had to take the second choice. When we got to Banbridge, she directed me to The Green Bean, a coffee shop. We had lunch…great sandwiches on ciabatta bread, then great lattes and wonderful desserts. We each had one dessert but split it 3 ways so we could taste the carrot cake, the raspberry almond tart and the carmel coconut bars. We passed on the Fifteens. We’ll try them another time.
We had talked about going to the Bronte Interpretation Centre but with the rain, we decided to pass today. There are several sites near Banbridge about the Bronte sisters and their father.

We dropped Deirdre in Banbridge town to meet a friend and then we went to the Outlet Mall. We had tried to go to Ferguson’s Linen but they closed at noon on Friday. We were looking for a shop with sweaters or a linen shop. I did get a sweater, not exactly what I had in mind but nice!  When we arrived at the mall, a passerby made a comment about the weather. I replied and he said “is that an American accent?” I admitted it. He told me his daughter lives in Chicago. Everyone here seems to have someone in America. And they all comment on our accent!
We found lots of nice things but didn’t purchase much.  We left the mall at 4:45, a bit later than we’d planned. I wanted to get home before dark as the narrow winding roads are even more difficult at night. It was dark by 5:15…..with half an hour yet to go on the road. All went well…well except for one little bump! I didn’t see a curb.

So we are camped out in the wee apartment. Sarah greeted the group of Scripture Union kids, 39 boys and 4 leaders. She went home after orientation. Hopefully we won’t have any interaction with them but we will be here….just in case. The sitting room upstairs isn't as cozy as the end of the grand hall but it works! And the good thing is that I have been able to get wi-fi here tonight! It often doesn't work in the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment