Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Another day in N. Ireland

Mon-Tues

The last two days kind of ran together. Helping Deirdre with the meals consumes a big part of the day…prepping, serving and then being in the kitchen as the team does the wash-up. In between meals I have worked on the Prayer Letter for MH for Nov-Dec….yes, it’s not out yet but Alan is ok with that as we are changing the format. And the person who has access to the mailing list, etc., is out until Monday. That gives me a bit of time!  I also copied the Intern Manual so that we could look at updates and possible revisions. The official change from Project Evangelism to Murlough House (Ministries) necessitates some of that.  All that to say, I did spend considerable time on paperwork. 
Leonard
Serving a wee cuppa
 In the midst of the morning, Leonard appeared at the door. I invited him in and went to prepare a tray of tea with a scone and some shortbread. His first comment when I served was that he would need more biscuits (cookies).  We took pictures and he seemed quite happy for us to do that.  Then Bebe went off to collect the biscuits. When she returned with them, he told her to hurry because he had to catch a bus. So he wolfed down the biscuits and scurried out the door. Later Jenn said she saw him hitchhiking toward Newcastle.

The team went to Belfast on Monday evening to a praise and worship event. I had planned to join them but found that I had misunderstood the event. I thought it was to a church comprised of Africans. Then they said there would be a visiting African choir. I opted out and stayed home for a quiet evening with Bebe and Deirdre. When the team returned, they were talking about a 4 hour service that was “sensory overload” for some.

County Down's #1 Around a Pound!
I realized that the craft I had considered for Wednesday would not work so Jenn suggested another. I made a list of things I would need and asked Richard to drive me to Newcastle. “Little Black Suzy” is out with the Sawyers for a few days and the red car is notorious for failure to start. I didn’t want to take it alone and it’s nice to be chauffeured occasionally! I asked if the bridge over the bay was the only way to Keel Point so Richard took me along the “cut”. It’s a narrow gravel road that goes round the bay and comes out at the Twelve Arches Bridge (the bridge has ten arches). In Newcastle I went to three Pound shops…Around a Pound, Poundwise and £ Shop. (These are similar to Dollar Stores but of course, most things cost a pound which is $1.40) I was not able to get everything but I think it will work. We picked up milk for Deirdre and were back in less than an hour.

In the afternoon I talked with David, the IT consultant at MH. I asked about a scanner (which MH does not have) and he wanted to know why I needed it. That led to a conversation about the manual which led to more conversation. He recommends that I not spend a lot of time on it until we meet with Kieron. That will be next week. The good thing is that I have read and marked up my copy of this manual so will be prepared for that meeting. Later David asked if I had any other questions. I asked him if he knew how to install Skype. I just wanted him to direct me but he just took my laptop and did it for me!

Later I was able to Skype with Darian and Berkeley. It was fun to see Berkeley. She's very active but so sweet and tiny. Darian did say that she is "underweight" so is now eating baby food veggies. She like the squash and carrots but not the green stuff! She's 4 1/2 months old and too sweet!! She may be underweight for the charts but looks well rounded out. She's just a little girl!  I could see and hear them but they could only see me. I used the text feature so it was a nice visit…then the call was dropped.

Supper on Tuesday was great!! The team, Shillidays, Bebe, Deirdre and I piled into the mini-bus for a ride to Annalong. We went to The Galley for fish and chips. Richie phoned in the order on the way and we arrived with only a 5 minute wait for our fifteen orders of cod and haddock (for 13 people) with chips (fries) and onion rings and mushrooms! The pieces of fish are generous!! Bebe and I shared ours so we each had both kinds of fish. I would say that cod is better than haddock but the haddock is great! Imagine the cod!!

We returned to MH for a couple of hours of visiting, knitting and more tea. Michelle (team) finished her first one and has stared a second scarf! Bebe finished one this afternoon. I've started another and Jennifer (team) is nearly finished with her first. These are fun and quick!

Wednesday morning is slow so far. The team was up for a quick breakfast of cereal and they packed their own lunches for their day out. They are going to Belfast for shopping, then to the swing bridge, then to Giant’s Causeway. Bebe and I did the wash-up, and then put away some vegetables that David had brought in from the Harvest Sunday at his church. (yet another David!) Deirdre went with the team and then she is going home for the weekend. We are left here with a pot of soup on the stove.  Deirdre made ginger/pear scones to take with the team and date/banana scones to leave here for us. I had told her I like dates so she made these especially for me! Sweet Deirdre!!

Bebe is leading a Bible study at 2 and I have a craft class at 3. So far my first and second ideas/projects have not been successful so I hope to come up with something that will work by 3 pm! Supplies are very limited. I’m told that there is a good craft store in Belfast but that’s not an option for today! I think Jenn is planning a trip there next week for a “girls’ day out”.

Just this moment it’s very peaceful here at Murlough. Bebe and I are resting in the blue chairs at the end of the great hall. The window is open for some fresh air. The wind is brisk. We can hear the sea just beyond the trees rolling in and breaking at the shore. It’s a good spot for meditation and reflection and journaling and writing articles (mine is due for The Advocate this week!) and just “being”.

No comments:

Post a Comment