Saturday, November 12, 2011

Downpatrick...

So glad I’m a volunteer…..reason will become obvious in a few sentences. The shower in the flat needs to run a bit to get hot so I typically turn it on and go do a couple of things. I did that this morning. When I returned to hot steamy water, I saw that the shower was filled and overflowing. I turned off the water, cleared the drain and then showered…but had to turn the water off a couple of times as the drain wasn’t clearing. Later as Bebe and I were getting ready to leave, I noticed a bucket in the downstairs hallway sitting area and water splashed all around. I looked up and saw where it was leaking….directly under the boys’ shower room. Checking with their leaders, we learned that the drains in the shower room were not working. So my shower drain is a part of a bigger problem. Bebe and I continued our plan to go to Downpatrick for the day and the leader contacted Sarah, the house manager.

We stopped in Dundrum for cash at the “hole in the wall”. My bank debit card would not work…said it was not authorized. Yesterday my credit card wouldn’t work because it doesn’t have the imbedded chip. I used my Travel Visa and got cash. Even when you notify your bank, getting money in a foreign country is not without some challenges!  Being armed with pounds, we stopped for breakfast at the Dundrum Tea Shop. I had soda bread with bacon. Bacon here is more like breakfast ham.
It's a bright sunny day here, not rainy like yesterday. It's cool but light jacket weather. The roses are still blooming!

We drove to Downpatrick and went first to the St. Patrick Visitor Centre. The long video was unavailable and they had some technical issues with the shorter one. We browsed the gift shop while that was resolved and then watched the ten minute video. Great scenic views on a wide, wide screen…actually there were 5 screens so it was quite a panoramic view. Much of it was shot from a helicopter so there were great landscapes!  From there we went to the County Down Museum housed in a very old gaol/jail. The visitor centre is at the bottom of the hill and the museum at the top. Steps have been installed. I think there must have been ten sets of ten steps each…… At the top, we headed first for the tea shop for a cold drink! Quite a climb!! Out of breath….. So we also had a snack! I had a Fifteen!
Old gaol/jail County Down Museum next to
 modern structures.

We spent a couple of hours in the museum.  The first thing we saw was some gold bracelets…about 3,000 years old…that’s the same time period as King David! There were people in Ireland even before then! The museum is well done. We had only been able to spend about 40 minutes there last year so we were glad to be able to return with more time. The walls pictured to the left surround the 2-3 buildings that make up the jail complex. There is an "exercise" yard also. The walls you see are not a part of the jail building.
As I was leaving the Exhibition Hall on the second floor (3rd the way Americans count), the museum guide asked if I preferred to take the lift (elevator). I said maybe I would. The climb up the steps outside had been enough for one day. She replied, "didn't you think you'd be in heaven after you climbed all those steps?" Well, I hadn't but it certainly was a lot of steps!!


A typical gravestone in the cemetary at Downpatrick
Grave Marker for St. Patrick
From the museum it was up the hill a bit further. We had seen the cathedral last year but wanted another look. We had a nice chat with the gift shop clerk/guide. We also went to the marker in the cemetery for St. Patrick’s grave although it is believed that his grave is actually under the present cathedral which was built in 1787.  In the 11th century, there were Augustinian canons there. In 1188, a community of Benedictine monks were there at the abbey. People have worshipped in this location since the time of St. Patrick, 432 A.D. and in this building since 1787. This is an Anglican or Church of Ireland ediface. It is officially called the Holy Trinity Cathedral. Anglicans, Roman Catholics and Protestants all seem to claim St. Patrick!

Now we had the descent to the carpark! From there we stopped at MacDonald’s!! We had our first diet coke WITH ICE since our arrival. We got a Big Tasty with fries. Love Deirdre’s cooking but had missed those fries!! For dessert, we had a Cadbury Carmel McFlurry---bet you can’t get that in the US!!
We are having a quiet evening in the flat. The internet keeps going off and on. I had a few more pics but they don't want to load so see the FB page for the ones of the interior of the cathedral. It seems colder inside this evening that it was outside this afternoon. I'm wrapped in two blankets!

No comments:

Post a Comment