Sunday, December 4, 2011

Birthday girl, swank hotel, ancient bridge...


I read of Bekah’s friend who died this morning of cancer. She was very young…on the brink of life, nearly finished with her PhD…a loss for her friends but gain for her as she was confident of her life in Christ. Reading her blog (a repeat from a few months ago and reposted) was both inspiring and draining. It was a sad moment for a gal I never met.

Thursday morning at Moms and Tots in Castlewellan again. I had a serious conversation with one mom about Jesus. There are so many layers to the issues here. She and many like her have been beaten down by the “church” and the Troubles. She said she has little faith. She doesn’t want to introduce religion to her little boy because of all the heartache she has suffered. She is in a “mixed marriage” which here means Protestant/Catholic.  It made me sad. But on another note, one little gal was celebrating her third birthday. I loved her outfit…something tells me that she chose it herself. Pink cowboy boots, pink Mickey/Minnie sweatshirt and a red tutu with a big “3” button. She’s too cute!

Bebe and I were invited to join the volunteers at Moms and Tots for lunch but we needed to get back to Murlough as we were going with Deirdre and Jen to Slieve Donard Hotel for a Craft Fayre (fair to Americans). It’s a very exclusive hotel. The Fayre was to benefit cancer research. There were lots of vendors in the Grand Ballroom—all the typical craft items plus Aran knits, framed photography, foodstuffs (like brandy butter) and finger knitting kits.  We saw several people we have met at different functions. Tea was available in one area and desserts available from the vendors. 

Jen dropped us off and called back in about ten minutes. Richie had fixed supper for all of us! We drove over and sat down to a nice meal. After that Richie went off to play soccer and we watched a DVD. Now Deirdre wants to be sure I blog this next part…. Someone fell asleep during the movie. Yes…me! The other part is that someone snores.  Talbot, Shillidays’ lovely little Yorkshire terrier, and I were sleeping and it was not Talbot that was snoring. (There Deirdre!!)

Friday

John B. (the worker placed at MH who is on a sort of unemployment) is leaving. He has been here for two 13 week sessions and now has some other scheme (which is what the government plan is called). Deirdre wanted to have a special lunch for him. She asked me to make a chocolate mayonnaise cake. I had made one for the Georgianna team but was disappointed in how it turned out…not being used to a convection oven. Today’s cake was just right! Deirdre made fish pie with green beans and boiled potatoes for lunch. Richie offered prayer before lunch and John said he had to step out. He went down the hall until the prayer was over. That made me sad. He is Jehovah’s Witness.

Alan brought the Prayer Calendars so I folded and stuffed envelopes. There were not enough so I had to call Belfast. I finished up what I had and later Keiron called back to let me know they would be delivered tomorrow. I also tried to get my credit cards approved for international shopping but was not successful. I did get the Amazon.uk order straightened out with the Travel Visa. I couldn’t use my credit card for the UK online purchase.

In the afternoon Jen was back to begin baking for another sale. She made Pecan Pies and Shortbread. The group started coming in at 7:30. There was a mini-crisis. The leader had called last weekend and asked if they should bring bedding and towels. Because I came last year and didn’t need those things, I said no. Well, our group was five people, not sixty!! I should have said YES, bring sleeping bags and towels. We do provide sheets and pillows. Well, here we are now with all these people in a cold manor house and no blankets. We started going through the cupboards and linen room. Duvets were brought out. The duvet covers had to be put on. Blankets were counted. A few sleeping bags were found. When all the available bedding was pulled out, we were still short. Richard and Bebe drove over to Oasis and brought back duvets and towels. The leader called some of the people to ask them to bring bedding. (Some live close by and were  having youth meetings in their own church before coming.)  Crisis averted!

“Supper” was served at ten pm. Scones, Fairie Cakes, biscuits, tea and coffee! Deirdre was baking all afternoon and then started working on tomorrow’s lunch. We set up the table, cover, tea, coffee, sugar, cream, cups, and three trays of desserts in the Teaching Block. That meant at least six trips from the kitchen across the drive and into the Teaching Block. Bebe had taken a few things and Jen and I finished up.  I set the tables for Saturday breakfast. We left the kitchen at 11:30 p.m. It had been a very long day, both emotionally and physically draining.

Saturday

Up early to help with brekky (breakfast) for the group. It’s a group of older teens from all across Northern Ireland. A simple fare of cereal, juice and toast doesn’t seem like much until you stand at the toaster preparing enough for 55!! Three four slice toasters still have to be “reloaded” several times!  We set up ten tables which required more than you would think…juice, butter, jam, etc. After the meal, the visitors help with the clearing and the washup. It is very helpful but you have to train them as you go.

I was sent off to Newcastle for bread and milk and while there, filled the Suzuki so she would be ready for our venture on Sunday. On the way back, I stopped at 12 Arches Bridge. I had only been able to see ten arches from the road but they are all there. There’s an historic marker telling about Domangard/Donard and his introduction to Christianity from St. Patrick. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5WWkFEyAn3oC&lpg=PA74&ots=Vk_ZsurUBR&dq=domengard&pg=PA74#v=onepage&q=domengard&f=falseThere is history all around. I mentioned it to Richard, the gardener, who has never stopped at the bridge although he devours history books.

The balance of the Prayer Calendars was delivered while I was in Newcastle. I finished folding and stuffing them and Sarah took them to the Post Office.

Lunch was a lot of work but well received. Deirdre had called in three teen volunteers from the Crosspoint ministry. Keiron, Nathan and Tori did a lot of work! Sarah came in too so there were six of us to follow Deirdre’s instructions! Again the visitors did their bit in helping with the cleanup and washup. Supper was similar but Sarah and Tori were not here; Jen was.

In the afternoon, I took a nap. It was delightful!!  Then supper! Richard came to help with cleanup so Bebe and I were released from that. Thank you Richard!!

Later I worked on getting information about Zechariah. I’ll present that in first person mode on Tuesday at one of the ladies’ groups in Newcastle.

No comments:

Post a Comment