Thursday, March 10, 2011

This funny English language.....

Some ten years ago, I was in the chapel at Friends Theological College in Kenya and the students were singing. It was my first week there and I was still unfamiliar with the accent. The students and African staff are fluent in English but it is their third language!

I looked at Sandy who had been there several years and whispered, "what are they singing??" I thought they were saying "Jesus is a wiener mahn" and the second verse was just as odd to me, "satin is a looser mahn". I later learned it was a Ron Kenoly song. The students loved it and I soon did too.

A couple of years later, a Peace Corps volunteer attended chapel. The song began and Lonie whispered to me, "what are they singing??"

Following is a rendition of that song. Imagine it in a small chapel with about 75 singing and clapping. It is festive and I'll bet even Jesus likes their version!!




The lyrics are: Jesus is a winner man, Jesus is a winner man, a winner man, a winner man, a winner man. Jesus is a winner man.... all the time.
Satan is a loser man, a loser man, a loser man, a loser man. Satan is a loser man...all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment