Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Wed, 4 April, Kenya

Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Today was both good and not so good. It was good in that I had a day of rest and visiting. It was not so good in that I learned sad news about several of my friends. These are difficult times for so many people.

I have been awaking at 6:30 or 7:00 most mornings but today 8:11….it was good to be in Kaimosi, I guess! Dorothy Shiverenje came by on her way to go see her daughter. We were able to chat for a bit about Jackie and the baby, Beth. Dorothy has a heavy load these days. I had some things to give her including a cute sleeper for Beth!

Later Hezekiah Obwoge texted that he is coming to see me. He used to teach at FTC. He has completed his PhD and is now lecturing at two colleges. He hopes to get a full time position in the next year. He arrived at lunchtime so he and his driver joined us. We shared lots of memories.

Brenda and Linet walked down to Friends College Kenya (FCK) to register for the conference. I stayed at the house in case the other wasungu (white people) arrived. It was a restful afternoon. Dorothy and Gladys came up to visit the president and told me I did not need to come for the opening program tonight. They will send a car for us tomorrow.

Marian Baker arrived in the afternoon and then was out to check on delegates coming from Uganda. It was  nearly 6 before Jessica, Mary and Minga arrived in the rain. These three had arrived in Nairobi yesterday and took a bus to Kaimosi….many hours as they went through Eldoret. They were exhausted and hungry. Linet prepared supper and we all sat down in the candlelight as the electricity had gone out. We had rice, cabbage and chicken with banana bread for dessert. There was much conversation around the table as you can well imagine with seven women!

Just as we were going to bed, the electricity came back on. Hopefully the tank of water will be sufficient for all of us! Today a fellow working on a small building project kept coming to our tank for bucketsful of water. Linet told him not to take our water but he wouldn’t listen to her. I asked her if she has a padlock so she finally locked the tank. As she said, he can go to the river for construction water.

I realized late this evening that I didn’t take one photo today. I should have taken pictures of my friends! I was so glad to see them that I didn’t even think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment