Friday, March 16, 2012

Back Home Again at MH


Arrived in Dublin on Thursday at 8:15 am (4:15 am Indiana time). Made it through immigration and baggage claim and was in the waiting area by 8:40. I spotted the CSI team, thanks to Tom and daughter Vang in their green CSI shirts! I introduced myself to Mandy (from Minnesota) and Tom and Evangeline (from Ohio) and we waited for Richie to come collect us. He arrived after about ten minutes and Deirdre had come along! What a wonderful surprise!



We took a side trip shortly out of Dublin to an old old tower, built in the 11th century. There had been a monastery, Monasterboice, there. The monks had inscribed Bible stories on large stone crosses so the people (who did not read) would have a record and memory. The Irish monks who WERE literate transcribed the Bible during those times when Europe was in upheaval. Some say and it is documented that “The Irish Saved Civilization”. The tower was the place where valuables were stored in case of pillagers. A few ruins of the old monastery remain with the tower which is over 100 ft. tall but it is now a cemetery. The graves are a bit different in that each one has a small stone boundary and the inset is filled with gravel and pots of flowers…although some have put in fill dirt and planted flowers. The primrose and daffodils were in full bloom as well as other flowers.

We continued our travel stopping in Newry at Grounded for a cuppa’ coffee as in lattes and cappuccinos and 12 year old Vang had a hot chocolate with extra marshmallows and cream!  We arrived at Murlough House before noon with time for settling in before lunch. It was so good to see Alisdair, Sarah, Joan, John, Jo and Richard. Then Jen and baby Charlie came. Lots of hugs and tears….but that’s how it is when you see folks you love after a tragedy. Heartwarming as well as sad.

Jo had lunch and after that I visited with Deirdre a bit, then covered up with the plump duvet and took a nap (Richard asked later if I returned it…his play on words is always keen!) The team had a bit of orientation and took drive to Newcastle. I opted to stay and visit. Daniel was in for a bit…he is the hyper guy who gave us lots of entertainment before. He is still very hyper and quite unique….I know there really are not degrees of unique except perhaps for Daniel!! After supper Deirdre, Bebe and I spent some time in the apt and then I crashed….in my lovely corner room This room is often saved for special guests and I have it this time! Woo Hoo!!

I slept from midnight til 9:30 am….so cozy in the duvet! We had a late breakfast at 10, then the team had Bible study with John. Alan arrived and so there were more hugs (he just returned from England). The team has a nice schedule and I will join them for some things but mostly my time here is a buffer between the sadness and the work ahead. I think it will be a very good time. I cannot leave the sadness but I can get rested up for the work ahead! And what a grand place to do it….with a bit of festivity tomorrow!

1 comment: